[thelist] RE: clients are funny

Paul Bennett paul at web-business-pack.com
Mon Oct 4 14:16:32 CDT 2004

Amen, I was working with a (very small) company who were seeking to make
some changes to allow internet applications to improve some business
processes.
I met with their management and with some consultant they had brought in
to "help".

I asked a few questions and it became clear that they hadn't a clue as
to what they wanted or what was possible, but their consultant guy
seemed to have some kind of inferiority complex when talking to someone
who could understand and build websites and web apps. He insisted in
using technical terms that he didn't understand to describe things he
didn't know were impossible. It was all I could do to keep a straight
face (not one of my strong suits :) ) and the meeting was mercifully short.

One of his favourite "lines" still sticks in my head:

"Once we've downloaded the hard drive to the mainframe..."

A Mainframe! This companies entire "I.T network" consisted of two
non-networked desktop PCS and 4 mobile phones!

:)