[thelist] ATOMZ To End Free Search -- Other Options?

Sam Foster sam at sam-i-am.com
Mon Oct 4 14:18:02 CDT 2004

I've been looking into the Google API, prompted by the same Atomz
announcement. It's working well so far - I have a perl/cgi that accepts
queries and responds with entirely custom formatted search results. I
needed the results page to validate as strict xhtml - something that was
  hard to find elsewhere.

But I'm not comparing apples with apples. One is an API, the other a
hosted search/indexing service.  Any searches are against Google's index
and you don't get to reindex at will like you do with Atomz or similar
services.
And you have a maximum of 1000 searches a day.. fine for me, but
probably not for lots of sites out there.

Worth looking into though as you get all of Google's PDF indexing,
cacheing etc. for free. And I really like keeping my template and
results hosted on my server.. I'd run into cross-domain scripting issues
and all the usual consistency and version problems before with Atomz.

Sam