[thelist] Moving to JSP from ASP

raditha dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Tue Oct 5 08:49:11 CDT 2004

Warren Murray wrote:

>Good Day to All,
>
>Listen, I'm working on possibly moving an application to JSP from ASP, but I'm having a difficult time justifying it.  I'm also trying to figure out are the necessary elements required to run JSP on a Windows or Linux platform.

This is just the kind of discussion that is likely to spark of a
religious debate so you take take everything you here (including what I
am saying) with a pinch of salt. I am sure there will be at least one
migration guide on the sun site.

>One of my reasons is cost because we want to have the flexibility to increase the number of applications at a client site without increasing the cost substantially.  What are some other reasons?

There are many starting off with speed. JSPs are usually a considerably
faster than ASP. Other benefit's include the fact you get access to huge
class library that can do many things that you cannot do with ASP *alone*.

>As I read up on JSP, I read that the required pieces to make JSP operational is J2SE SDK and Jakarta/Tomcat.  My questions for this are:
>Is that all I need?  If not, what else would I need?

Jakarta Tomcat is a 'Servlet Container'. you can use any servlet
container. Other examples of servlet containers include Resin, sun
reference implementation.

>Do I need Apache too?

no.

>What can I use for email other than Server IIS 5.0?

You can send email by connecting to any SMTP server of your choosing.
Javamail is a complete mail library that includes support for SMTP, POP
and IMAP.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.