[thelist] Moving to JSP from ASP

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 08:24:09 CDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:00:48 -0400, Warren Murray
<warren at digital-crossroads.com> wrote:
> Good Day to All,
>
> Listen, I'm working on possibly moving an application to JSP from ASP, but I'm having a difficult time justifying it.  I'm also trying to figure out are the necessary elements required to run JSP on a Windows or Linux platform.
>
> We are currently running the application:
> Windows 2000 Professional
> Server 5.0 IIS
> ASP
> Access (Database)
> Oracle 10g (Instant Client)
>
> One of my reasons is cost because we want to have the flexibility to increase the number of applications at a client site without increasing the cost substantially.  What are some other reasons?
>
> As I read up on JSP, I read that the required pieces to make JSP operational is J2SE SDK and Jakarta/Tomcat.  My questions for this are:
> Is that all I need?  If not, what else would I need?
>
> Do I need Apache too?
>
> What can I use for email other than Server IIS 5.0?

I can't give you any business reasons as to why to make the move from
ASP to JSP besides the fact that once you make the move it is a much
smaller move to go from JSP to a full J2EE environment. However, if
you are already running ASP, why not make the move to ASP.NET? Seems
like a shorter trip and you get to reap all the same benefits as
moving to J2EE?

As far as running JSP on a computer, you will definitely need Tomcat 4
or 5. Tomcat does provide a very rudimentary web server, however, it
is not recommended for production environments, therefore, you will
need to hook it up with Apache. (There is probably a way of hooking it
up with IIS, but I have never heard of it.)

For email, there is JMail. I don't really know anything about it other
then the fact that it is designed to handle email.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd