[thelist] Moving to JSP from ASP

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Tue Oct 5 08:37:52 CDT 2004

Warren Murray wrote:

> Listen, I'm working on possibly moving an application to JSP from
 > ASP, but I'm having a difficult time justifying it.  I'm also trying
 > to figure out are the necessary elements required to run JSP on a
 > Windows or Linux platform.

> One of my reasons is cost because we want to have the flexibility
 > to increase the number of applications at a client site without
 > increasing the cost substantially.  What are some other reasons?

Cross-platform development and deployment is certainly one.

I'd consider the availability of JSTL and various other taglibs a
strong positive, but I don't know if ASP has equivalents. Ditto all
the available frameworks, e.g. Struts.

I think you'd have to start working with JSP a while to appreciate
how the capabilities of the servlet container simplify development
work. Frankly I can't imagine using anything else. YMMV :-)

> As I read up on JSP, I read that the required pieces to make JSP
 > operational is J2SE SDK and Jakarta/Tomcat.  My questions for this
 > are:
> Is that all I need?

Yep.

> Do I need Apache too?

Nope.

> What can I use for email other than Server IIS 5.0?

Clarify, please? You want your webapp to send email or act on some
received mail, or ?? Either way, this isn't really anything to do
with the server, it's just application code.

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.