[thelist] Moving to JSP from ASP

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 10:34:38 CDT 2004

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 07:02:00 -0700, Hassan Schroeder
<hassan at webtuitive.com> wrote:
> Chris Johnston wrote:
>
> > As far as running JSP on a computer, you will definitely need Tomcat 4
> > or 5. Tomcat does provide a very rudimentary web server, however, it
> > is not recommended for production environments, therefore, you will
> > need to hook it up with Apache. (There is probably a way of hooking it
> > up with IIS, but I have never heard of it.)
>
> "rudimentary"? No. It's fine for production. I would even recommend
> *not* front-ending Tomcat with Apache or IIS -- doing that only adds
> processing overhead, maintenance overhead, and more opportunities for
> introducing configuration errors :-)

Really. I was always under the impression that the web server in
Tomcat was more for development and not for production. Lean something
every day. So is there ever an advantage in placing Apache in front of
Tomcat?

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd