[thelist] Architecture/SEO question

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 10:38:27 CDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:28:38 -0700 (PDT), Tom Dell'Aringa
<pixelmech at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This kind of goes along with the ASP to JSP conversation since I noticed it in context. For a long
> time I was always under the impression that you had a web server which served up all the content
> (aside from DB stuff of course) that you needed. I guess this is because I was never really
> involved on that side of things.
>
> At my current job, our architecture involves WebLogic 7 (soon to be 8) serving up dynamic JSP
> content, with IIS proxy in front. IIS handles all static content (css, pictures, the like). I'm
> told that IIS is umpteen times better performance wise at handling the static content, when I
> asked why we didn't just serve everything up with WebLogic.
>
> Apparently this also has something to do with clustering and some other stuff which I didn't
> understand :D
>
> Now, the question. This is standard operating procedure? To have a web server serve up static
> content and an app server serve up dynamic content, correct?

As for the SEO issues, I have no idea. In my experience, this is the
way that things have worked -- a weblogic server (or several servers)
all sitting behind an IIS server with IIS taking care of the static
content and weblogic taking care of the j2ee stuff.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd