[thelist] Architecture/SEO question

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 11:17:48 CDT 2004

--- Chris Johnston <fuzzylizard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nope, I wouldn't say that. More then anything, I am just confirming
> that what you see is done other places as well. The main reason given
> to me for why IIS is put in front of Weblogic is for clustering. It
> allows for several weblogic servers to be accessed from a single point
> -- the IIS server.

Ah, right. That was the other point I couldn't quite remember correctly. So am I correct in
assuming that ISS "load balances" the cluster by proxy, delivering the requests to the cluster in
the most effective manner? Or am I stretching the concept too much and does something else load
balance?

> My guess as to why IIS is serving up static content
> is because it can. This allows for the load to be shared across
> servers, it also allows for content to be shared across web
> applications.

Understood, but we are not sharing CSS or really images across apps. This still leaves the
question in my mind - completely aside from clustering - of why WL "should not" serve up static
content. Furthermore, does this mean WL has no means of clustering/load balancing?

>From a SEO point of view, we'd desire everything to be served up from WL so that we could take
advantage of the best URLs without redirects. Barring that from happening, we need a solution to
still achieve www.site.com instead of www.site.com/site/homepage.jsp.

But I understand that there are other considerations. So we have this big issue right now of how
to solve both ends of the problem. This is at least helping me understand the issues better.

Tom

=====
Get Firefox! | http://www.pixelmech.com/