[thelist] ASP.NET Adaptive Rendering?!?!

Michael Pack michaelpack at wvdhhr.org
Tue Oct 5 14:49:04 CDT 2004

I was having a good day, taking a stab at stepping into ASP.net. I
decided to convert one of my online forms as a starter. Here I am coding
and learning away when I view source in Netscape 7.1 and see that the
validation summary is being output in tables into my tableless page AND
font tags are being thrown into my valid XHTML 1.0 markup.  When I view
source in IE there is a nice div with styles.....there goes my good
day.

So I head out to Google to research what is going on and find
"Client-Side Validation in Downlevel Browsers"
(http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/051204-1.aspx) and "A Look at
ASP.NET's Adaptive Rendering), which pretty much tells me all I need to
know. As a proud CSS/XHTML coder I despise what I found.  (In the second
article I did find info that explains how to configure the web.config
file to output HTML 4.0 to Netscape, Opera, Firefox, and other standard
compliant browsers. )

My question. Can ASP.net web controls be configured to output valid
XHTML?

Thanks in advance for any info/resources.

MP