[thelist] Architecture/SEO question

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Tue Oct 5 14:55:56 CDT 2004

tom,

> Our problem with this is search engine optimization. This current
> architecture gives us homepage
> urls like:
>
> www.site.com/site/homepage.jsp
>
> This is generally a 302 or 301 redirection. For SEO you want
>
> www.site.com
>
> period - nothing else. In particular the redirection hurts your rankings -
> even if it is a
> permanent 301. I'm just wondering how others have handled this and what
> means they have gotten
> themselves a static home page (if they have at all).

a permanent 301 is actually fine for most (if not all search engines)

google says on this page:
http://www.google.com/remove.html
"Finally, if your old URLs redirect to your new site using HTTP 301
(permanent) redirects, our crawler will know to use the new URL. Changes
made in this way will take 6-8 weeks to be reflected in Google."

hth,

nagrom
http://www.morgankelsey.com