[thelist] Architecture/SEO question

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 15:23:03 CDT 2004

--- Morgan Kelsey <morgan at morgankelsey.com> wrote:
> google says on this page:
> http://www.google.com/remove.html
> "Finally, if your old URLs redirect to your new site using HTTP 301
> (permanent) redirects, our crawler will know to use the new URL. Changes
> made in this way will take 6-8 weeks to be reflected in Google."

Yes for MOVED urls - I agree that's just fine. We're concerned with the permanent urls of our web
properties. When you hit www.site.com, on any of our sites, you get redirected to
www.site.com/site/somepage.jsp. (most of these are actually 302's which is way worse, at least we
are getting them to move them to 301's).

The issue isn't just one of the redirect, but what people link TO. Link popularity is helped by
people who link to you. If people link to me at  www.site.com but the page is really at
www.site.com/site/blah.jsp - I don't get credited for those links. So any link in DMOZ, other
directories, web banners, promotions, and personal sites that don't hit that jsp directely don't
help us win at all. That's a big issue. If we can get the main link fixed, all of a sudden we get
credited for all those links out there and we jump in in rankings - which is what we want :)

Tom

=====
Get Firefox! | http://www.pixelmech.com/