[thelist] XStandard vs. HTMLArea

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 21:43:04 CDT 2004

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:34:33 +0930, Tim Burgan <email at timburgan.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking of using XStandard [1], HTMLArea [2], or a similar
> alternative in the form of a Java Applet.
>
>   1. I cannot understand how to install or get XStandard working. Do I
>      need ti install the software on the server? I cannot do so as I'm
>      using a 'shared hosting' account.
> [1] <http://www.xstandard.com/>

It appears that xstandard is currently an ActiveX/COM dll. So if you
want to use it on a website, you place the necessary files onto the
server, and create the appropriate HTML markup. The user's browser
will download and install the ActiveX control.

There is a note that a Moz compatible version will be out sometime in
October (presumably not an ActiveX control...)

Alternatively, you can embed it into a VB/Access/Delphi/etc app (if
you are writing some kind of desktop application). In which case you'd
install it onto the desktop where the app is going to be run.

HTH

Cheers
Ken