[thelist] OOD question

Scott Dexter dexilalolai at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 7 14:35:44 CDT 2004

I'm walking my way through some existing code (C#) and the structure
(I don't want to call it a Pattern) used is,

class User : DataAccess

(that is, the User class derives from the DataAccess class).

Now, while I see how this works, and some ease in use (the User class
getting all the data access functions), I feel kinda uneasy in the
'properness' of usage here. I guess it comes down to naming
conventions (why isn't "DataAccess" called "SuperUser" or
something?), but what I'm asking is others' experiences with 'best
practices' and wiring up a data access layer to classes. Would/Have
you done the above? Or would you instead instantiate a separate data
access class inside the User class? Something else?

The above smells kinda fishy to me, I just can't put my finger on
it...

Thanks for any thoughts,
sgd