[thelist] hiding floats (CSS)

Ben Yates byates at emich.edu
Thu Oct 7 22:10:19 CDT 2004

Maximillian Schwanekamp wrote:

> min-height

A little complex and kludgy (neat article, though; I'll keep it on file).

> Since you're using WordPress, perhaps you could programatically set an
> inline style on each of the div.post elements, incrementing like the
> h3 element which appears right after the opening div class="post" tag ?

Thanks, good idea.  I've set the image not to display on pages with more
than one content DIV.

> Btw, beautiful design.  However on wide screens (mine is 1200px wide)
> the bg image doesn't reach, so there's a big white stripe on the
> right.  Perhaps the bg img could be wider?  Looks great at 1024px wide
> though.

Thanks!  I'm reluctant to widen the image, though, for two reasons:

1)  The source image doesn't have any more usable horizontal space; so
I'd have to just blow up the current version; I'd lose (more) detail
(though I can avoid pixellation, so it's not a major concern).

2)  The file size is already big enough to cause several-second hangs
(only the first time the site's visted, but still) for people using IE
on dialup.

 >  Could the dropdown menu items be less transparent? Or lose the
transparency on mouseover/ :hover.

I can't do it for individual menu items (the transparency property is
set for the menu as a whole; I'm not sure the elements are totally
contiguous, so I can't just set them all individually -- anyway, the
dropdowns are children of the main links).  Too bad transparency values
of more than 1.0 aren't supported =)  The whole menu lights up now,
though, a little bit.