[thelist] JS regex help

Brian Cummiskey Brian at hondaswap.com
Thu Oct 7 22:38:06 CDT 2004

>> which begs the question, what happens 2 years down the track when a 7
>> letter tld is added? What about .museum.nz? (valid 2nd level domain)?

Agreed- if this was for a long term app, i'd be less strict.  But I
imagine the app being used for under 3 months at best.

>> There are two types of data checks:
>> (1) Check for the data you don't want - bad chars, messed up syntax
>> etc - let all else through.
>> (2) Check for what you will allow - specify a rigid format and block
>> anything that doesn't conform.
>>
>> Typically, for web applications, the second option is better,
>> specifically when the data must be in a determined format.
>> Unfortunately for email addresses there is so much variation, that
>> validating every conceivable value brings out issues such as the ones
>> discussed today.
>> Is there a point where we check for reasonable syntax and then just
>> let the rest of the data through?

That's basically what I'm after.  This is an order-entry system for our
phone reps to take info over the phone and enter it into our system.  I
also don't imagine it being THAT big of a deal...  but minimum wage
data-entry folks really need all the help they can get to enter stuff in
right (you should see some of the data i have to correct everyday UGH!)