[thelist] OOD question

Scott Dexter dexilalolai at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 07:52:38 CDT 2004

--- Marcus Andersson <marcus at bristav.se> wrote:

> The book "Design Patterns" (GoF) states that you should:
> 1) Program to interfaces
> 2) Favor object composition over class inheritance

I've been (re)reading through the GoF patterns at
http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/Patterns.aspx and find them just
barely accessible. The real world samples help, but I'm going to
apply them to a project (or two) to really get a feel for them. Any
other references I might look into?

> implementations called Spring Framework and PicoContainer. I think

These both use Inversion of Control, which is something else I've
been reading about (also Martin Fowler --
http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/injection.html) and trying to
shift my thinking to apply these in my design tasks. Still working on
it, need to read less, code more ;)

> Well, these were my thoughts of the problem at hand. I hope they
> helped you with your thinking.

It's the direction I'm trying to head down, and I'm attempting to
apply these principles to existing code that I'm reviewing. Fun
exercise, no?

[Great example snipped, saved, and printed off for reference]