[thelist] JS regex help

J.J.SOLARI jjsolari at pobox.com
Sat Oct 9 09:57:32 CDT 2004

> Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:19:59 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Edwin Horneij <ed_horneij at yahoo.com>

> Where I work we are somewhat lax about what we will allow the user
> to enter in the "email" form field, and then we send an email
> containing the URL of a validation page to the address furnished by
> the visitor. The user's account is only activated once the user
> goes to that page and clicks on the submit button of a validation
> form. Every so often we purge old accounts that were never
> activated.

Edwin,

I agree with this reasonable approach, however there are some
situations in which some 'advanced' pre-checking is desired/required.

Obviously, we can't deal with all possible wrong inputs, but, IMHO,
the regex should take into account those foreseeable cases where the
visitor could inadvertently type, for exemple, two consecutive dots,
or a space, etc.

Lack of doing so can simply prevent the good delivery of the
confirmation mail to such an unsufficiently checked address.

The visitor will be expecting in growing frustration an answer that
will never come, not thinking that the adress she or he gave in the
first place was wrong.

These situations do occur, so I would not be too lax :-)

JJS.