[thelist] GET requests and sent content

Mark Groen markgroen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 20:08:41 CDT 2004

> Paul Bennett wrote:
>
> > I have been told
> > by the very knowledgable lead developer that normal form get and post
> > requests also send back the entire html of the page they are on and
> > hence they use JS to minimize the size of the sent data.
> >
> > This to me seems ludicrous.

I think Hassan is right on this one and you misinterpeted the
conversation. As you say, this developer is considered very
knowledgable, and it's learned fairly early in basic html classes that
forms send a set of data to the server. Don't think he meant the
entire file gets sent back to the server, but rather the response to
the client from the data sent in the "other/unwanted" method, was to
serve another page with the new data, rather than just replacing what
was needed.

Hassan: "Using, say, XMLHTTP to retrieve a small XML dataset clearly uses less
bandwidth, since the page markup itself isn't discarded and replaced."

cheers,

       Mark