[thelist] RE: spam?

Alex Beston alex at deltatraffic.co.uk
Tue Oct 12 17:30:24 CDT 2004

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the comments. Will make good efforts to turnaround my
approach. [1] Definately take the point about the "increasing visitor
traffic" angle, plus loads of other points.

I seem to remember writing a mail that was about avoiding spam. ok, so
the approach I suggested *is* spam, so I will avoid that.

This is why I wrote in the first place - to avoid my clients & future
clients getting "blackholed", "blacklisted" - im not really into the
business of selling extra units at the expense of annoying people over
the pond or elsewhere. I would rather have a good approach that took
ages to create than learn dirty tactics. Another point - you cant really
know whats good without knowing the bad - but it seems to have been at
the cost of alot of people thinking im an eejit, nodding whilst reading
Seyon's slamming and damning mail. the gonzo analogy was funny but hmm,
come on, find yourself another dummy to beat up. appreciate the time
taken to analyse my website. strangely enough i didnt ask for it. was
that the point? . Dont mind getting hauled over the coals - its
refreshing but were we talking in the "cruel to be kind" type of
morality? Perhaps it was the only way to get the point across, get my
attention? ok fair enough.

The streight analysis had the taste of dogma, which I nevertheless have
to say has a great ring of truth and "

"If you, a relative nobody, keep yanking their
chains and yelling "look at me! drive traffic to me! endorse and praise me!"
they will hate you and ignore or condemn you publicly."

is an excellent picture of what it looks like when the little guys try to get a piece of the action. I dont like being associated with this humilating picture but I guess it takes something like this to stop it from happening. desperation can set in very quickly if you let it...

I dont know really - you try to find out whether an approach is spam or not and you get near-religious types gushing down from a great height, and i am reminded of the pulp fiction [2] quote. still, i'm sure it was made with the best of intentions similiarly with the seyon mail. but there was the clear "alex wants to be a spammer" inference which wasnt very nice.

I realise Im totally out of touch with the best ways to promote clients and I could sense this recently by the backlash.

My main gripe with the net at the moment ( something ive had an involvement for about 7 yrs now - mainly making web pages at cost, icc chess, irc chat and some php programming ) is that the statement "build it good and they will come" just rings hollow. totally hollow. with a million pages coming up each day, how is the little diamond of a site going to get noticed?

Its depressing. really depressing. will rss save the day?

Alex

[1] not sure if this archived mail will help in this respect :( must defend myself & reputation, whats left of it :(

[2]http://www.webspawner.com/users/ezekielpulp/

"And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious
anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will
know that my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee" LOL.