[thelist] PHP: page display issues

Gregory Wostrel info at gwcreative.com
Fri Oct 15 05:58:41 CDT 2004

On Oct 15, 2004, at 12:10am, Maximillian Schwanekamp wrote:

> Julian Rickards wrote:
>
>> It appears to me that the calendar is expanding and contracting
>> because September has no data and October has data that is forcing a
>> cell to expand.
>
> Yes, it is an HTML/CSS issue, not really anything to do with the PHP.
> Gregory, if you can get your hands on the New Riders book _Eric Meyer
> on CSS_, it has a good chapter specifically on styling a calendar.  In
> a nutshell, in the CSS you might set an explicit width and height for
> the days, style the font size for links to fit the small boxes, gray
> out the days on the calendar page that come before the 1st of the
> month and last of the month, and perhaps highlight the current day.
> Eric's book goes into all that quite nicely, too.  With PHP, you can
> have the markup generated for the current day with something like
> class="current-day," holidays with a "holiday" class, and so forth.

Maximillian,
Thanks for the explicit suggestions. I appreciate your comments (and
Julian's before you). I have actually recently purchased Eric Meyer's
book but haven't had an opportunity to start it! I can see it from
where I am sitting. I took on a few jobs where a PHP solution was a
component so I bought and started Julie Meloni's "PHP Essentials"
first! I guess I will jump ahead to the calendar chapter in Eric's book
and get this job finished. Sheesh, I've got a lot of reading to do!

Thanks,
Gregory Wostrel

gwcreative
email: gw at gwcreative.com
web: http://www.gwcreative.com
tel: 401.286.9228

Communications and the Art of Simplicity