[thelist] Website in Multiple Languages

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Oct 15 22:04:37 CDT 2004

The current MS Backstage article is also on globalisation and localisation
issues:
http://www.microsoft.com/backstage/bkst_column_47.mspx

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Rickards" <julian at jrickards.ca>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Website in Multiple Languages

: It is funny that you should ask this because Adrian Roselli talked about
: his company's challenges with Internationalization, Localization and
: Translation at the TOevolt.org (http://toevolt.org) conference in
: September. You might want to have a look at his notes from the
: discussion and perhaps contact him.
:
: Jules
:
: Bob Haroche wrote:
:
: >I'm coming on board to help with an approx 50 page English language
: >site, currently all static HTML. The client plans to offer Spanish
: >versions of some, possibly all, of the pages. Creating duplicates of
: >each page is possible but not very attractive sounding.
: >
: >As a general matter, what methods are used to present content in
: >multiple languages? I was thinking some sort of CMS where the data is
: >stored in a db and translated "on the fly" into the appropriate
: >language -- but I'm new to this area.
: >
: >The site will be on a shared windows/iis server with
: >ColdFusion/ASP/Perl and Access/MySQL/SQL capability.
: >
: >Thanks.