[thelist] Need help with IP addresses

Khurt Williams khurtwilliams at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 08:17:01 CDT 2004

My DSL provide provides IPs via DHCP so running any kind of service
(web server, mail server) would be a challenge to setup.  However, I
have a firewall/router/gateway device attached to the DSL router that
provides NAT to my internal network.  I have a Linux server setup with
a static IP (class C) and configured the router/gateway to pass
through traffic to this server.  Now since I have DHCP the IP on the
router/gateway changes almost daily which would make finding my server
challenging.  So I have an account with a dynamic dns service (I like
dyndns.org) and I run an agent on my Linux server which updates the IP
entry for a hostname each time my IP changes.  That way I can get to
the services I want via hostname (which does not change).
Please keep in mind that putting up a web server on the broadband
connection may violate the term of your broadband contract.

--
Sincerely,
Khurt Williams