[thelist] [php] regexp help

Courtenay court3nay at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 00:54:12 CDT 2004

Look at  www.regexp.info  -- it's an amazing resource.
I couldn't replicate your problem.

In a quick check with javascript in firefox javascript debugger (my
quick-n-dirty regexp checker) i did this:
  'test ^%'.match(/^[a-zA-Z0-9 -\']+$/)

which gave a false answer.

  'test 21af34 '.match(/^[a-zA-Z0-9 -\']+$/)
gave a true answer.

Also, the /i means case insensitive, so the a-zA-Z is redundant, just
a-z will do.

>From what I could see, the % can act like a URL encoding character
thingy (%20 is a space, etc) so it may not being treated as a %
symbol.

What are you actually trying to check?  We might be able to
(collectively) write a better regexp!

HTH

courtenay