[thelist] RE: checked vs. unchecked boxes

Greg Holmes greg.holmes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 11:49:29 CDT 2004

Steven Streight wrote:

>Likewise the statement: "leaving a box unchecked
>is pre-selecting the NO option."
>
>No way. This is the whole point: Leaving the boxes
>unchecked is precisely not pre-selecting anything
>for the user.

You *really* don't get this?  Or are you trolling?

Checkbox.  Two states.  Whether the default is
checked or unchecked, there *is* a default.
Unchecked is a state.

The *only* way to have no default would be to use
radio buttons (with no default selection, obviously),
and validate that a choice was made. Or a
dropdown with "Please choose" as the default
choice, together with validation to make sure
that the user actually choose something.

And, just for fun ...

[  ]  Warn me before you do something evil

[  ]  Add to my frequent flyer miles

[  ]  Give me free shipping, if I am eligible

Gee, good thing the developer didn't default
these to checked!

Greg Holmes