[thelist] RE: checked vs. unchecked boxes

Scott Dexter dexilalolai at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 13:28:40 CDT 2004

Agreeing that this horse is more than dead...

> So my question here is which one of the following examples is
> better
> usability wise:
> [x] do the default thing
> [ ] don't do the default thing

The latter. Unless, as discussed, your statistics show that most of
your users (significant enough to justify the change), check the
"don't do the default thing", when you may want to change it to:

[x] don't do the default thing

Which begs the question, shouldn't you change the default action, and
then reverse the checkbox's affect (and its wording)? I'd say yes.

Can we instead talk about programming server-side code exclusively in
ASP.NET vs writing HTML? Anyone? Bueller?