[thelist] XHTML 1.0 Strict -no target attribute allowed?

Rick den Haan rick at countryexpress.nl
Sat Oct 23 07:23:20 CDT 2004

> On a slightly different note, what about for people with no
> javascript, but with frames?

That's been bugging me as well. The CSS-Frame trick is pretty complicated to
learn, so in those rare occasions I really do need frames I tend to use the
HTML 4.01 Frameset doctype that calls valid XHTML 1.0 Strict or XHTML 1.1
frames. To imitate target="RightFrame" I use a modified version of the
target="_blank"-trick:

onclick="parent.frames.RightFrame.location=this.href; return
false">Example</a>

Of course, this won't work without javascript. What you *could* do is
something like this:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
  document.write('<a href="http://www.example.com/"
onclick="parent.frames.RightFrame.location=this.href; return
false">Example</a>');
//-->
</script>
<noscript>
</noscript>

But that would be cheating and I don't think the W3C Validator will allow
it. My guess is, if you really want to use frames and targets without
javascript, stick to HTML 4...

HTH,
Rick.