[thelist] RE: checked or unchecked boxes

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Tue Oct 26 15:05:34 CDT 2004

> Pre-selection is probably mostly hoping users
> will do WHAT YOU WANT them to
> do, not what they want to do.

Nonsense. That's old marketing garbage, not the level of professionalism
the folks on this list consistently display.

> "If most users, according to actual stats,
> want such and such"--okay. Then make it
> automatic, but provide an opt-out.

Is that not what every one of the 'pro pre-selection' folks have been
saying?

Nobody has advocated being sneaky. This has *all* been about usability,
and every person who's advocated preselecting *anything* has indicated
exactly what you spell out here, not a sneaky "hey, we'll check what
*we* want and hope no one notices!"

joel