[thelist] Open source licensing and web development

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 15:49:30 CDT 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:47:49 +0200, Kasimir K <evolt at kasimir-k.fi> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I have had to think a lot of how I license the sites I make for
> my clients. This has led me to think the possibility to use an open
> source license, e.g. GPL.
>
> Do you have any experiences on this? Anything special to take into
> consideration? Is GPL good, or should I consider other options?
>
> How about the design? What should I do with the graphics I create? Or
> CSS files?
>
> What if I used GPLed parts like bulletin boards on a site - would that
> force me to GPL the entire site?

There was a HUGE thread on licensing and the GPL on the list not that
long ago - sometime in June I think. You may want to do a search for
it.

The real question that must be asked is what permissions do you want
to impart to those that might use or have access to your site and the
content therein? Do you plan on releasing the source code? Do you want
to make money off the source code? Are you planning on changing,
extending, modifying GPL software and then including it in your site
that you then distribute?

The GPL is an excellent license as long as you agree with what it
says. If you do not, then pick another license that better suites your
needs and desires.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd