[thelist] Open source licensing and web development

Travis travis at mediastill.com
Tue Oct 26 16:04:04 CDT 2004

> What if I used GPLed parts like bulletin boards on a site - would that
> force me to GPL the entire site?

The general rule with this, as I understand it, is that you can download and
inetgrate gpl components (like a bulletin board system) into your website by
modifying the code if you so wish. If you use pieces of GPL'd code in your
own code, then, if requested, you must release the source code to those
modifcations - UNLESS you are not publishing the code - ie if it is strictly
for internal use.  (You might want to double check on that, but I'm fairly
sure that's the way it works.)

Certainly what you do not have to do is make available other scripts from
your website if they are not derived from GPLd code. As explained in the
legal doc...

"These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable
sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be
reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then
this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you
distribute them as separate works."

IOW you do not have to gpl all the independent scripts on your site simply
because you add some gpl software to your site.

Hope this helps,

-trav