[thelist] Open source licensing and web development

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Tue Oct 26 18:44:16 CDT 2004

Travis wrote on 2004-10-26 23:04:
>>What if I used GPLed parts like bulletin boards on a site - would that
>>force me to GPL the entire site?
>
> Certainly what you do not have to do is make available other scripts from
> your website if they are not derived from GPLd code. As explained in the
> legal doc...
>
> "These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable
> sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be
> reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then
> this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you
> distribute them as separate works."

Yes, when you "distribute them as separate works". But if I make a site,
and include a GPL cms there, they in now way are separate.

> IOW you do not have to gpl all the independent scripts on your site simply
> because you add some gpl software to your site.

So is "the Program" just one script, or the entire system?

I imagine that if I wrote C code, it would be easy to say if I've used
another program in mine or not. But somehow this seems to be less clear
when I write PHP.

Is the web just inherently more complex when it comes to copyright issues?

.k