[thelist] Switching back to Mac

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Wed Oct 27 09:17:13 CDT 2004

On Oct 27, 2004, at 8:27 AM, Mike Roy wrote:

> I guess my question is, do any of you do real work in both
> environments, and if  so,  what are some of the drawbacks/advantages
> vs. staying with one platform.
>
> Also looking for general thoughts on doing flash and php work on a Mac.
>
> Thanks,
> - Mike

 From day 1 at my job I have worked on a Mac, and recently was fortunate
enough to get a new G5 1.8GHz.  The company I work for went from a DTP
company, to a all internet/intranet focused company.  Macs have always
been the standard machine around here for the design work.  There are
plenty of PCs here too.  In fact I have a Mac and a PC, but I use the
Mac 90% of the time.  The PC is for testing websites we build, and
intranet work where the WYSIWYG editor only works with IE 6.

I use Photoshop/Illustrator CS, Macromedia Dreamweaver/Flash MX 2004,
and Office X in my daily workflow on my Mac work station.  These
applications work great.  Dreamweaver and Flash tend to be a little
clunkier on Mac than PC, but Macromedia has released an update that
fixes most of the inconsistencies.

Advantage Mac:
I prefer OS X to Windows for ease of use, customability, UI, stability,
and the complete lack of viruses, adware/spyware.
No need to install 3rd party software to get rid of spyware/adware that
sneaks into PCs.
OS X is awesome.

Disadvantage Mac:
Network support for OS X is not as robust as Windows, but I have not
faced any challenges with OS X.

Really it comes down to which OS you prefer.  Both Macs and PCs can
exist in harmony, as they do here.  I'd take a 5 year old Mac over a
spankin' new PC every time, but that's just me.

One other factor, an important one, Apple ranks higher than any other
computer manufacturer in Customer Satisfaction and Support.  Below are
two articles you might be interested in:

[1] Apple Tops in Customer Satisfaction:

[2] Frustrated Microsoft Users Explore Options