[thelist] Switching back to Mac

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Wed Oct 27 11:43:47 CDT 2004

> I'm an admitted Mac-head.  For web developing, one big advantage I find
> is testing.  With Virtual PC, I can test a page in Win IE 4, 5, 5.5, 6,
> pretty much any version of Netscape, Mozilla, Safari, Opera, Lynx, etc.
> etc. etc.
>
> On a Windows machine you can't have more than one version of IE
> installed (there are theoretical ways, which have been discussed on the
> List before, but they involve a lot of messing around), and you can't
> test Mac or Unix programs.

Without precise knowledge of Virtual PC, but assuming it's much like
VMware(?), I think it's a little unfair to extol the Mac as being amazingly
easy to test multiple IE versions, when Windows can do it just as simply
with VMware.

For reference, it's quite possible to test a lot of Unix programs too, using
Ming(?) or Cygwin (which provides a Unix base under Windows).

Robert