[thelist] "auto-height"

Andrew Clover and-evolt at doxdesk.com
Thu Oct 28 06:36:17 CDT 2004

Jesse <jesseknoll at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I cannot figure out is how to make the (rightside) div expand and
> contract dynamically with the content.

You can't. Or at least not without a lot of caveats and browser-specific
messing about.

Much easier to use nested backgrounds:

   .left  { background: url(/img/border/left.gif)  top left  repeat-y; }
   .right { background: url(/img/border/right.gif) top right repeat-y; }
   .right { padding: 0 16px; /* size of border images */ }

     content...

Use an third nested div if you need a main-content-area background as well.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://www.doxdesk.com/