[thelist] Paying in Google's dollar cheque in the UK

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Tue Nov 2 05:56:20 CST 2004

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 10:37, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> Hi UK readers
>
> I just got my first cheque from Google for adsense and I just wondered
> what are reasonable charges for paying in a dollar cheque into a sterling
> account. I'm going to try it today and wondered, if they say it'll cost a
> fiver, should I walk out, and if so, where to?

I'm in Belgium, so it might differ, but caching US checks costs a lot. I had
to pay $25 to cash a $1000 check recently.
But, my bank gave me a dollar account free of charge, so at least I can keep
the checks in dollars, and exchange them once the dollar recovers some of its
worth (after Bush leaves office probably), which should offset the costs
somewhat.

Richard.