[thelist] Emails not going out IIS 5 vs. Exchange Server 5.5

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Nov 2 12:15:29 CST 2004

Hi,

Two possibilities I can think of:
a) Their mail server is mis-configured (always a possibility I suppose)
b) The mail you are attempting to deliver is not destined for @domain.com
-or- purports to be from @domain.com but the remote server does not have your
host as an acceptable source of mail from @domain.com (the error message is
basically saying that relay is prohibited. Relaying is the process of sending
mail not destined for your domain through your mail server)

HTH

Cheers
Ken

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On
: Subject: [thelist] Emails not going out IIS 5 vs. Exchange Server 5.5
:
: I'm getting this Event ID warning in my system logs of my web server:
:
: Message delivery to the remote domain 'domain.com' failed.  The error
: message is 'An SMTP protocol error occurred.
: '. The SMTP verb which caused the error is 'RCPT'.  The response from the
: remote server is '550 Relaying is prohibited
:
: Source: smtpsvc
: Event ID: 4001
: