[thelist] Yet(!) another XHTML 1.1 question..

Julia julia at juliadesigns.net
Wed Nov 3 03:44:36 CST 2004

Yes it is me again......:-)
Right:
My page validates as XHTML 1.1 but it is being served as text/html to all
browsers (not just IE6 which doesnt support application/xhtml+xml, and
therefore needs to be served text/html, fo the page to work).
According to what I have read so far, my understanding is that my page
should be being served as xml to Mozilla and other supported browsers, and
be parsed by the XMl parser. This is not happening however, and when I go
to the validator, it tells me that my content is text/html.
This is what I have in the head of my document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl"
href="copy.xsl"?>            <------------------ Using this as per W3C's
instructions so that IE can read the doctype and not go into quirks mode.

<head>

<title>Welcome to Jewels Web Graphics</title>
charset=utf-8" />

Am I missing something here to allow this to be served as XML?
you can see the actual document here:
http://www.jewelswebgraphics.com/

(I am beginning to think I might be better off going back to XHTML 1.0
strict and be done with all this! It is apparently ok to serve this doctype
as text/html, but not XHTML1.1 which must be served as xml according to the
W3C)

As always I will be grateful for any help and advice from the list.
Julia