[thelist] Form processing problem in IE and Opera with input type=image

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Wed Nov 10 04:30:59 CST 2004

Andrew Clover wrote on 2004-11-09 11:57:
> That is, Mozilla submits the name/value pair *as well as* the click
> co-ordinates, but IE and Opera submit them *instead*. The HTML 4.01 spec
> doesn't to my eyes endorse one or the other approach - only section
> 17.4.1 mentions the .x/.y suffixes and there's nothing mentioning it in
> 17.13.

17.13.2 says "Every successful control has its control name paired with
its current value as part of the submitted form data set."

So I'd say the value should be sent too, not only x and y, but then
again, I'm not writing browsers, only apps for them...

>>I'm using PHP to process the form.
>
> If PHP isn't doing it for you, you'll have to sniff for the existence of
> the '.x'/'.y' values manually.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.external.php tells us:
"The experienced may note that the actual variable names sent by the
browser contains a period rather than an underscore, but PHP converts
the period to an underscore automatically."

So you'll have Submit_x and Submit_y instead of Submit.x and Submit.y

.k