[thelist] Apache2 + MySQL4 + Win2k3

Michael Pemberton evolt at mpember.net.au
Fri Nov 12 06:33:59 CST 2004

I know this has probably been asked before, but here goes....

Are there any issues I should look for when I start moving my existing
php4 code over to my new php5 environment?  Most of the code is simple
MySQL interface work with a bit of PDF generation using the PDFlib
extension.

The exsting setup is also running apache 1.3, so if there are any tips
on what to look out for in my move to apache2, that would also be
appreciated.

Thanks.

<tip author="Michael Pemberton" type="Error messages">
When writing code that is to be used by others, take a bit of time to
consider the error messages that are displayed.  This is possibly the
last thing that you are thinking about when you are coding your project,
but it is the first this that comes to light when the project starts
being used by outsiders.

Too many scripts are left with simple "Something went wrong" error
mesages that are hard to explain over the phone and are even harder to
debug from a distance.

If you know what might cause a problem, try give more detail in the
error message.
</tip>

I apologise if the above tip is something that most of you guys already
take for granted, but I am in the middle of a project that involves
rolling out servers on a large scale.  The most common error is a simple
"Invalid Function" error being thrown by a VB script.  The cause?  That
the hard drive has not been partitioned correctly. Nice and logical... :)
--
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au