[thelist] Importing data to a new MySql database.

Mark Groen markgroen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 10:16:31 CST 2004

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:25:27 +0000, Julia <> wrote:

> been looking at a links directory I maintain on my site. It runs on
> opensource software using php and a MySql database.
> The current app can be found here:
> http://www.jewelswebgraphics.com/directory/

> Is it possible to import the data from this existing database, to a new one

Yes.

> that will be created for the new software? and if so, how exactly do I do it?

There are a number of ways to do it, among them dumping out the old
data into a csv file and then importing it in, or adding your old
tables into the new database and then using SQL to update the other
tables being used by your new application.

Most of it depends on your new application and how it is handling the
data, you will need to match up your existing data fields to the new
ones.

> other than that, dont really know anything else about php and MySql.  Yes,
> I know I need to learn more about it, and it is on my to-do list :-)

Someone may prove me wrong and there is an appy out there to do this,
but methinks you may have to start learning a bit of MySQL if you want
to do this yourself. Also, knowing the name of the old application and
the new one may help as someone may recognize it and offer an easier
solution that "learn some mysql".

hth!

cheers,

             Mark

             MG Web Services
             www.mgwebservices.ca

Your Canadian West Coast web site development and hosting solution.