[thelist] User perception

Les Lytollis leslytollis at dimensions-corporatewear.co.uk
Tue Nov 16 10:54:23 CST 2004

Perhaps I've missed a couple of conversations, but it seems that the
discussion so far has been along the lines of "Your users might think
like this or that...", but no one seems to have suggested actually
asking the users for feedback on using the form. If you have the luxury,
sit with a few of them (or a test group from a similar background) when
they are using the form to see what they do.

<long example>
I had a recent example of this for a site I built which allowed a floor
manager / line leader to place orders for their employees. If the
employee didn't have an order history, the employee details were added
to our back office systems via the site. That employee's details were
then available for lookup the following day after a batch update to the
site.

A bug in the site allowed users to add the employee more than once
before the update was in place. This was clearly a defect, but what I
couldn't understand was why a user would be stupid enough to add the
same employee *six times* within that 24 hour window. It turns out that
because I returned the user to the "add employee" screen, they were
sending the details again and again to try and see some confirmation
that the details had been sent!

A little different in that the users were actually looking for a message
or confirmation, but still something I had never considered before
asking them because I *knew* the details were sent when they were
returned to the previous page.
</long example>

LezL

********************Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer ***********************
This message, together with any attachments, is for the confidential and exclusive use of the addressee(s).
If you receive it in error, please delete the message and its attachments from your system immediately and notify us by return e-mail.
Do not disclose, copy, circulate or use any information contained in this e-mail.

(1) Whilst we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses, we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and would advise that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.
(2) The sender shall remain solely accountable for any statements, representations or opinions that are clearly his or her own and not made in the course of employment.