[thelist] RE: link spam a new spam

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Nov 18 18:10:37 CST 2004

Using IE, the word "entrepreneur" in the first paragraph is underlined in
blue, and hovering over the word pops up an ad. You don't see it using Moz. I
didn't bother checking the various stylesheets and escaped js to workout
whether this is using something IE specific, or it's doing some kind of
browser detection so that only IE is shown the ads.

Cheers
Ken

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On
: Behalf Of Hassan Schroeder
: Sent: Friday, 19 November 2004 11:00 AM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: [thelist] RE: link spam a new spam
:
: ANDREA STREIGHT wrote:
:
: > I see a blue underlined hypertext link. When I hover my cursor over it,
lo
: > and behold, the link destination is totally unexpected, and basically
: > undesirable. The destination has nothing to do with the article or what
I'm
: > researching.
:
: > A "Sponsored Link" box pops up upon hover state, and it's just like a
: > sponsored link in a search engine result page, with a headline, a
paragraph
: > of description, and a blue underlined hypertext link.
:
: > I will give you the location where I first encountered this whole new
: > species of spam:
: >
: > www.bizreport.com/news/7968/
: >
: > I wonder what reactions I'll get to this?
:
: How about "huh??" I looked at that page, and see nothing remotely
: like what you're describing. Where *exactly* is the link you're
: referring to?