[thelist] Re: Link Masking

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Tue Nov 23 09:16:33 CST 2004

If you have a list of links, and you don't want anyone to be able to trawl
your site and harvest them, I suppose you could keep them in a database.
Then, all your links would look like: /links.asp?id=39275.

The page links.asp would "authenticate" the user (conventionally I suppose
via the page referrer, although really this is no authentication at all with
the assistance of an HTTP proxy) and if the user is deemed to be worthy of
the link they will be redirected to the link from the database (hence the id
in the querystring).

Chris,

This I think is more what she wants. Now that I remember it, she did say
something about displaying links on her site that are good for only two
hours. Mind you, she wanted to patent a web site. This is the level of
paranoia that she's involved with.

Pray for me,

Rob