[thelist] input type="image" value not being passed in IE6/XP

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Thu Nov 25 18:40:37 CST 2004

Message from Andrew Clover (11/24/2004 11:25 PM)
>John Allsopp <john at johnallsopp.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>According to the W3C 'value' is optional in this case. Does that mean
>>it's optional to us as developers, or it's optional whether the
>>browsers support it?
>
>The spec seems wholly ambiguous to me - I don't see where it says
>'optional', even!

<quote source="http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.4.1">
image

[snip]

When a pointing device is used to click on the image, the form is submitted
and the click coordinates passed to the server. The x value is measured in
pixels from the left of the image, and the y value in pixels from the top
of the image. The submitted data includes name.x=x-value and name.y=y-value
where "name" is the value of the name attribute, and x-value and y-value
are the x and y coordinate values, respectively.

If the server takes different actions depending on the location clicked,
users of non-graphical browsers will be disadvantaged. For this reason,
authors should consider alternate approaches:
Use multiple submit buttons (each with its own image) in place of a single
graphical submit button. Authors may use style sheets to control the
positioning of these buttons.
Use a client-side image map together with scripting.
</quote>

Seems quite clear to me. For image type buttons the only values passed are
the name and x and y coordinates.

Alternatives are suggested for exactly the reason John is experiencing.

As for the 'optional' part, it's a little higher up in that same section
under the 'Attribute definitions'.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/