[thelist] Remote PC Program recommendations?

evolt at weeb.biz evolt at weeb.biz
Tue Nov 30 08:40:21 CST 2004

Tony Page wrote:

> Incidentally, if any of you guys in the UK can tell me whether I should go
> with Tiscali or BT ADSL I'd be grateful. Mega-speed is unnecessary, but
I'd
> rather not shell out too much a month and it appears Tiscali is cheaper...

Hi Tony,

BT in my experience have the worst customer support known to man, I can not
recommend enough that you to stay away from them. In the past I have be
kept on hold by these [expletive deleted]s for hours on end (this is not
hyperbole - I once called up, was put into a queue for an hour, after which
they cut me off before I ever got the chance to speak to a human being) and
they regularly lie to cover up their incompetence. Seriously avoid them
like the plague that they are!!!

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ gives a good and independent run down of the
various services. If you are looking for cheapness, last time I checked
Pipex ( http://www.pipex.net/ ) were the cheapest known brand (there were
cheaper, but would you trust a company that only set up a month or two
before?)

Remember if you need to access her computer you will need to know her IP
address, and most ISPs over here give you a dynamic IP address. There are
various Dynamic DNS services that can help you, but they will require the
service to be running on her machine, so this could be a weak point.

Zen ADSL ( http://www.zen.co.uk/ ) are the company I have used most, their
technical guys seem knowledgable, their service is fast and reliable and
best of all (if you want it) they will give you a static IP, eliminating
the need for Dynamic DNS.

Well that's my €0.02 worth, hope it has been of some help

James Hardy

PS NOT BT!!!!