[thelist] Remote PC Program recommendations?

Mark Kennedy mark at eurogamer.net
Tue Nov 30 12:06:49 CST 2004

My colleagues and I would recommend Nildram since they've always been
good to us and are reasonably priced.  If you can get cable you might be
able -- or at least *used* to be able -- to get a 150kbps setup for
about £15 (that's what my parents are on and it suits them fine).

Having set up a few systems for relatives, I'd say the biggest headache
I've had is keeping their antivirus and firewall software in order.  I
would always prefer to install an external firewall/router with built in
ADSL modem (like this one
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=DG834 that's fine for me),
and then poke a hole in that for your remote admin access, in preference
to using a software firewall.  That way they never get confronted with
popups they don't understand.  Since it's also always 'dialled in',
it'll make the whole internet experience a bit more transparent.

Anyway, the USB modems supplied by ISPs invariably break when somebody
uses the printer or looks at them in a funny way :-)

Mark