[thelist] VASM Data Access

Jeff Wilhelm thelist at summit7solutions.com
Thu Dec 2 11:08:55 CST 2004

A client of ours wants to purchase a piece of software (an ETL tool) to use
on their database. Unfortunately their database is on a mainframe, in VSAM
format. The ETL tool can take input from ODBC, SQL, Oracle and many other
formats, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a conduit that would allow
ODBC access to the VSAM data from Windows.

Of course, I googled it and found a bunch of pieces of software that claim
to do just that, but this is a big client, and before I recommend something
I want to know if anyone here has any experience with this, and any software
that they personally would recommend. As long as it can provide access to
the VSAM data (through a System DSN I suppose) it should work.

Thanks,
Jeff
 jwilhelm at marketmodels.com