[thelist] Pop-up from an email

Ed McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Sat Dec 4 13:41:02 CST 2004

Maisha,

> >And any of the above pretty much guarantees that I'll put you on my
> >auto-delete list.  (Assuming my spam filter doesn't do it for me.)

Re-reading my post, it comes across as less than kind.  That's not how I meant
it, and I apologize.  I was trying to point out that you might run afoul of both
spam filters and folks who, like myself, are put off by the unexpected.

> I'd like to hear your thoughts if you still think this is
> unethical or annoying.

I don't see anything "unethical" about what you propose, so long as it's opt-in.
And "annoying" is totally a matter of personal taste.

Personally, I expect email to "act like email," and that means passive.  I am
annoyed by what I perceive as "gimmicky", especially when it pops up
unexpectedly.  And that is how I would react to your pop-up.

Please don't take this wrong.  I think you are pushing the envelope in a
direction that IS the future.  So if your audience consists mostly of young,
trendy, early-adapter types, then your idea is great.

Regards,

  Ed