[thelist] character set meta tag placement

Andrew Clover and-evolt at doxdesk.com
Fri Dec 10 04:01:40 CST 2004

Sarah Sweeney <mr.sanders at designshift.com> wrote:

> My question is, what if that meta tag is not the *very* first thing in
> the head section? Will it be ignored

I don't think this is defined in the standard; http-equiv has come to
have a different meaning in practice to what was intended.

In Mozilla, it will be ignored if it is not within the first 2K or so of
the file. I guess Moz parses input in chunks of this size, so this
probably wouldn't result in a slowdown.

I can't really tell what IE is doing as it seems to ignore it half the
time even when it's right at the top. But then IE always did like to be
contrary.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com