[thelist] Domain Auctions/Squatters

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Dec 16 07:37:53 CST 2004

Has anybody on this list had any experience with sites that claim to be
domain auction houses or otherwise squat on a domain and ask for lots of
money to give it up?  When a client of yours is looking for a particular
domain and it's already taken by one of these places, what sort of advice do
you give to them?

I've had two experiences with one such site, BuyDomains.com.  While I find
their pricing and business practices to be distasteful, I've found their
customer service and purchasing processes to be fairly easy to manage by my
clients.  In both cases my clients spent too much for each domain, IMO, but
their general reaction was that the site was easy to work with during the
purchase process.

I suppose I could be cordial for a few emails if I was turning a few
thousand dollars profit for a $30 investment.  :-)

Again, how do you handle these sites?  Do you tell your clients to pay up or
find a new domain?

Thanks in advance.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer