[thelist] UPS or Fedex?

Diane Haugen haugend at ictc.com
Thu Dec 16 15:31:35 CST 2004

At 1:37 PM -0700 12/16/04, Ken Moore wrote:

>>From your experiences, which is better, UPS or Fedex? Why?

I can't say enough good about FedEx.  For heavy packages, there is
FedEx Ground, which is in my experience cheaper than UPS, and the
packages are tracked and you can monitor delivery status on the web
site based on the tracking number.  UPS doesn't track packages.

I've had an account with them, with preprinted labels, for years.
Better than any other small business "must have."

I once had a package sit on an unused porch of my house for weeks
while UPS searched for it. Since it was only worth $50, they weren't
much interested in finding it. These were audio tapes of my
80-year-old uncle and no amount of money would have replaced them. I
accidently discovered the box when I went out to give this porch it's
yearly cleanup.

On the other hand, I had an order for my rubber stamps from Germany,
which I arranged to ship via FedEx.  If you ship overseas on Monday,
it's half the price of any other day.  They handle customs, etc. They
simply ask for a couple weeks notice.  My order was picked up on
Monday. That Tuesday was 9/11.  The package was to be delivered to
Germany on Thursday. Somehow FedEx got that package out of the
country and delivered a day early, on Wednesday, to Germany.

Need I say more.

Oh, the cost was less than what the post office would have charged
and taken two weeks to get delivered.

Diane